27 Aug Start These 4 Things Now to Help Ensure Success by the End of the Year
Geez, it’s been a minute since my last blog post! I won’t go into the details of why because that’s not the purpose of this post and certainly not why you are reading. Just know that I’m thrilled to be posting again!
In the U.S. and certain other parts of the world, September is much like New Year’s when it comes to starting fresh, checking in on your productivity, getting into a more structured routine, etc.
As the close of summer and the beginning of the last business quarter, September is the perfect time and opportunity to create a more structured schedule, tweak habits, clean up your finances, and enhance your chances of ending the year with success.
Success is different for everyone and every business. Nevertheless, there are a few things we can all do to be more successful by the end of the year. Part of being a Success Coach is sharing with you the various tools that I know will help you succeed.
Here are 4 of the most important ones:
- Clear the Clutter
- Big Paper Planner
- Freshen Up
- Move and Meditate
Clear the Clutter
You’ve probably heard this many times, because it works! Clutter can cause stress and is one of the main barriers to your productivity. Still, clutter can materialize in many forms:
- Physical clutter, for example, the clutter that finds its way in your home, car, office, and bags.
- Mental and physical clutter: Clearing your physical clutter will help clear your mental clutter, and vice versa. To this category you should also add the “energy suckers” — those people, tasks and goals that provide zero return on your investment.. They too must go! For example, if you have put off a hard conversation with someone who isn’t lifting you up, if you volunteered for a cause that is creating too much anxiety in your life, let it go!
- Finances: Balance all of your bank and credit card accounts. Cancel all unnecessary and unwanted subscriptions. You must know your numbers and whether they are good or not — period!
Big Paper Planner
Find a paper planner that has a packet to hold a pen and Post-it Notes. Take the time to write down your schedule. Use the Post-it Notes for lists. Use the extra pages for ideas.
Once you complete this task, include your schedule in your smart phone. Set reminders and block 30 minutes each week for updates. I update my planner over Sunday morning coffee.
The way you dress affects the way you feel and how you show up in life. Get rid of all clothes that are faded, stained, or have holes. (But keep your favorite T-shirt!)
Update your make-up. Put yourself together even if you work from home.
And always make your entrances like you own the place.
Move and Meditate
Strength and mobility are the cornerstones of longevity and provide the added bonus of helping you look better and exude more energy. Optimal physical shape requires exercising at least 30 minutes 5 days a week using a combination of strength, cardio, and flexibility training.
Meditation is the magic to it all. Science has shown that meditation actually restructures your brain and can train it to concentrate, feel compassion, and better cope with stress and anxiety, all qualities of which are necessary to acquire and sustain success.
If you are unfamiliar with meditation, here’s a good place to start:
- Set a timer for 5 minutes.
- Sit in a comfortable position, either crosslegged on the floor or upright in a chair. Make sure your knees are lower than your pelvis and you’re able to maintain the natural curvature of your spine.
- Place the palms of your hands on your thighs and close your eyes.
- Breathe in for a count of 5 and then breathe out for a count of 5.
- Continue for 5 minutes.
Thank you for taking the time to read my blog. I’d like to leave you with this thought:
Whatever type of success you desire is achievable with the right foundation. The 4 action steps I listed in this blog provide a strong basis to build upon. I hope you’ll take the time to build your foundation and end this year with success!
I’ll leave you with this question:
What do you feel is required to be successful?
I’d love to read your answer in the comments!
Don’t be afraid to be Audacious!